YOU in # years...

Sunday, July 10, 2011
I finished reading a book today which I promised I'd read,only because I was told it was an awesome read...
Interesting enough, it wasn't the best book I've read, but it was worth wasting my time on.

This weekend I devoured the pages quite fast, lol. Approximately 150 pages per night...
And since last night I had this thought-provoking question chasing me. I don't really know if it's because of the story-line in the book. But nevertheless I said BLOG!

The question;
"What's worth striving for? The ideal life or the realistic life?"

The ideal life doesn't have precisely the same meaning for two people alike... Your mom has other ideals than you and you, on your turn, long for other stuff than your (perhaps) identical twin brother/ sister.
The ideal is shaped by the way we want our lives to become and (to my opinion) this, on its turn, is hugely influenced by the media. Movies give us portraits of prince charmings on white horses and barbie impersonifications. Perhaps you see an advertisement which gives it's own definition to success and feeds this to us on it's most costly platinum plate. Radio programs, magazines, books, billboards...dedicated to convince us that our life could use that which they have to offer in order for it to be better. Ideally, my life needs more/less of THAT so I can be happy.
And face it, even in the "imperfect" figures in the media can we sometimes recognize ourselves and ideally crave to at the very least, be different.
Longing to be different isn't necessarily wrong. But my problem is, not every ideal is realistic! And there can, sometimes, be such a big gap between what we ideally want and what we can/ should realistically achieve.

Can someone perhaps strive so hard for the ideal that they defy what reality is offering them?
Then again, what's exactly realistic?

The most satisfactory definition I have found so far stated that a realistic view is when you tend or express things as they really are. (And contrary to the ideal, not as you WANT them to be). The realistic view presents objects, actions and social conditions as they really are.

Hmmmm,...

Then, I think, you can answer the question in the subject using both the views.
"Ideally, I see my life xxxx in # years. But realistically I think xxxx.
And I think, that depending on what your ideal really is, some people do achieve their ideal lives (at least in part). And some people realize on the long run, by harsh experience sometimes, that what they've always considered as ideal wasn't ideal at all. And that reality is the most ideal thing that could have happened to them...

Personally I think I'm leaning lately on the more realistic side of a living. It's just that ideals can sometimes be so.... (Sigh)
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel

0 comments:

Post a Comment