Stand still, I'd like to measure your heart's content...

Saturday, March 12, 2011
Define love…!
The feeling and showing of love sure isn’t a new point of discussion. Countless people have discussed the topic for as long as the earth itself exists.
And many poured their innermost on paper, trying to explain this subject. I’m sure,…even while I write this blog, countless people worldwide are showing, thinking of- or writing about love.
Thou I think, the differences in opinion won’t ever seize
I was speaking to a friend this afternoon, which I must mention that I love EXTREMELY much.
And while conversing, he mentioned that he loves me “infinitely much”. (aaaaaaww)

Now, for as sweet as it might be, for someone to love you oh-so-much, “is it even possible to love someone to the INFINITE level?”

Hmmmmm…
Cause this is the deal.
When we talk about infinite, we talk about something immeasurable, of infinite quantity or magnitude, unbounded, EXCEEDINGLY great, never-ending and LIMITLESS.
And love from one person to the other has a limit, right? ‘Cause I say, what will happen in (for example) 10 years if I had done something that made me unworthy of your love. And it comes to pass that you don’t love me anymore. What then, happened to the infinity…where did it go, if it was meant to be limitless?
Hmmm, I wonder….I really do.

Share your thoughts on the matter please!
 I’d love to hear what you think…

I personally like the Greek way of putting it all ( I’d personally add some more definitions =p).
 But they have 4 different names & definitions for the word “love”. This, depending on how the love is expressed or what type of love is being spoken of.
They have:
·         Eros Love
·         Storge love
·         Phileo love and
·         Agape
Eros as we can all imagine, (it even sounds like the word ‘erotic’) is the passionate kind of love, only based on flesh-satisfying, sexual attraction, desire and sensuality.
Storge (or sometimes referred to as Oikos) is the type of love you’d share with your household.  To your mother, father(s), sister and brother(s). Literally translated it stands for “affection”.
Phileo love  is that kind of love you’d show to your friends. Literally translated the word means friendship. Phileo love thou, isn’t only shared between friends; but also between family members, lovers, the community as well as when enjoying an activity. It is the type of love that requires virtue, equality and familiarity. It is important to mention that Phileo love does not involve passion.  Philia(as they also call it) CAN be a selfish type of love; by showing love only to others if you  can gain benefits from it. Even hidding behind the truest of motives.
Agape is the biggest of the four; and it denotes an unconditional love. A.K.A., the sacrificial kind of love.
 I personally like how Paolo Coelho describes it in his book ‘The Pilgrimage’; "the love that consumes," i.e., the highest and purest form of love, one that surpasses all other types of affection.

Still infinite love’s got me…is it or isn’t it possible? As for me,…I can very most definitely love you in Eros, I do love my household in the Storge sense, the Phileo is surely also on my love list and I can even try the Agape. But, infinite love?  Uhm….do I dare to commit to such a level?

One thing’s certain, my love might not be infinite…but fact is…I DO love!

“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.”
                                                                                                                               1 Corinthians 13:1-3


5 comments:

Piso Says:
March 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Dear Sy,

I do believe in infinite love.
I believe it in the sense that I have infinite love for very special people in my life.

Infinite in the sense that yes like you said they might do something in the future which would make it so we don't talk anymore. But that does not mean I don't love them anymore. Just means they don't get to hear me say it. It's kinda what you have with your parents, when you do something wrong they correct you, you either get grounded or in some cases a little more than that. During that period you are mad at them you don't want to see them you don't care. But as soon as its over you love them again their your parents you love them and will always love them. Saying you love them and will always love them is the same as saying you have infinite love for them.

cause always may sound less dramatic but its the same thing as infinite. Always is forever, forever mean eternity, eternity does not end its infinite. So always love your parents, brother or any other person is just as saying I will love you infinitely.

one of my fav quotes is from toy Story Buzz Light year. I will edit it a bit but here it goes; "I will love you to infinity and beyond!"

Reyna Joe Says:
March 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Eternal topic. Like your blogging. Dal bai!

Sy Says:
March 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Hey Piso,
thanks for sharing your point of view. =)Interesting I must say....very interesting!!


And Reyna Joe,...
thanks for subscribing, thanks for the comment and thanks for the encouragement. =) very much appreciated

Daniel Says:
March 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9zBxx7Gdw

Just thought would be interesting to share... =D

Piso Says:
March 31, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Good Choice of video ;)

Post a Comment